There are times I look up and I can hardly believe how much time has gone by. If I had kids I would likely be painfully aware of it because you can’t escape it when the baby you had is having kids of their own.
Still I often think to myself how incredibly lucky I was to be an ‘early adopter’ of the desktop computer.
It’s not that surprising in some ways, as a matter of fact I can see how I arrived at it... I was this weird amalgam of pinball/video game junkie who also had a thing for electronics having done the CB thing during it's heyday and also being fairly adept at doing all kinds of wiring and home electronics.
I was working at a newspaper when one of my bosses proclaimed I would be getting a Mac of my own with a scanner and a bit monitor and everything.
I would work all day and then leave at 5 and go out to get dinner and then come back to the office and stay there until 11 or midnight playing with this wondrous new toy I had gotten. Sitting down and figuring out things, making art on it, exploring. Even a few years later I was one of the first in my company (Grey Advertising) to have Internet Access.
That was no small deal by the way either. I would sit there with Mosaic exploring then too.
Anyway, I came across this and if you are one of those people that can remember way back when here is a little bit of fun from Archive.org:
This emulator gives one the real System 7 experience which would be akin to working on a Mac circa 1991!
(The funny thing is I’m old enough to have used System 6!)
Still I often think to myself how incredibly lucky I was to be an ‘early adopter’ of the desktop computer.
It’s not that surprising in some ways, as a matter of fact I can see how I arrived at it... I was this weird amalgam of pinball/video game junkie who also had a thing for electronics having done the CB thing during it's heyday and also being fairly adept at doing all kinds of wiring and home electronics.
I was working at a newspaper when one of my bosses proclaimed I would be getting a Mac of my own with a scanner and a bit monitor and everything.
I would work all day and then leave at 5 and go out to get dinner and then come back to the office and stay there until 11 or midnight playing with this wondrous new toy I had gotten. Sitting down and figuring out things, making art on it, exploring. Even a few years later I was one of the first in my company (Grey Advertising) to have Internet Access.
That was no small deal by the way either. I would sit there with Mosaic exploring then too.
Anyway, I came across this and if you are one of those people that can remember way back when here is a little bit of fun from Archive.org:
MacOS System 7.0.1 Compilation
This emulator gives one the real System 7 experience which would be akin to working on a Mac circa 1991!
(The funny thing is I’m old enough to have used System 6!)
System 7 (codenamed "Big Bang" and sometimes retrospectively called Mac OS 7) is a single-user graphical user interface-based operating system for Macintosh computers and was part of the classic Mac OS line of operating systems. It was introduced on May 13, 1991, by Apple Computer. It succeeded System 6, and was the main Macintosh operating system until it was succeeded by Mac OS 8 in 1997. Features added with the System 7 release included virtual memory, personal file sharing, QuickTime, QuickDraw 3D, and an improved user interface.
No comments:
Post a Comment